23.1.14

Not for me, thanks

So I will not be drinking alcohol for a while. No, I'm not pregnant.

Adam and I recently switched from insurance through my employer to Samaritan Ministries. We started looking into it last year, and made the switch this year. I'm really excited about it. It is a Christian organization that allocates money among its members as health costs arise, while encouraging prayer and making healthy lifestyle choices to decrease health costs. The application includes a statement of faith, as well as your commitment to not use tobacco and either not consume alcohol, or consume alcohol only in moderation. I don't think it's wrong to drink alcohol, but I think it's just easier to not drink it at all. I think it's very easy for people to go from "a few" to "a few too many."

Reasons I decided to stop drinking:
1. Save money. Holla.
2. I can always be the designated driver, no matter what.
3. When I do get pregnant, me not drinking won't be a dead giveaway.
4. Much like wheat, I don't miss it. I have had about four drinks/sips of alcohol in the past two years (much of that time I was pregnant or breastfeeding often), and even around Christmas when I had my last glass of wine as a "farewell" to drinking, I had maybe half a glass and thought, yep, really not gonna miss this.

So it may not be forever, but as long as we're members of Samaritan Ministries, you can call me for a ride home if you've had too much (assuming someone is home to stay with my sleeping child!) :-)

No comments: