3.8.12

Food

So I was doing a lot of pregnancy research before we were officially "trying," because I wanted to be really prepared, and I figured, you only have 40 weeks DURING the pregnancy, so you should be as prepared as possible beforehand. (I had a similar approach to choosing baby names - this is a name the child is going to have for the rest of their LIFE, so you should make sure you take the time necessary to pick a good one, even if that means picking names before you are even trying to get pregnant... which I used to think was a little silly but it turns out to be what we did!).

Anyway, during my pre-pregnancy research, I saw a lot of information about foods you should avoid or limit. And luckily for me, it's like I was born to be pregnant! Or, at least, that I naturally don't eat most of the things you are supposed to avoid:
lunch/deli meats - I don't eat
raw/undercooked eggs - I actually prefer to overcook my eggs
fish with high mercury content - I don't eat any fish
caffeine - I do drink some tea, but cutting out/cutting back on caffeine has been easy. I do miss my occasional Pepsi (and I did have about 6 ounces of Pepsi when I was in Hawaii, but that's it), but for the most part, I've been good on really limiting my caffeine. I will still have an iced or hot black tea every now and then, but other than that, I am mostly sticking with herbal tea, juice, or water
unpasteurized cheeses - I'm sure I like some of these, but I rarely purchase/eat them
unpasteurized juices - can you even buy these anywhere?

The two things I do miss eating that I am supposed to avoid are hot dogs and bean/alfalfa sprouts. I don't eat either of those very often, but there have been a few times since getting pregnant that I could have had them... totally worth it to avoid, but I do miss them!

3 comments:

Ashley R. said...

You can eat deli meats, they should just be organic, nitrate free, and such. A quick high protein snack.I eat Applegate and Hormel. You can also have fish, which is sooo good for you. Just make sure it's from the U.S. and wild caught. I eat Salmon and Cod at least once/week. So rich in vitamins ;)

Ashley R. said...

But if you don't like those things, then I guess you don't have to worry about it. Haha

em said...

Or if you cook the deli meat to "steaming hot," right? But yeah I just don't eat that normally, so it's not really an issue for me. Same with fish, I know there are certain ones you can eat & that are good for you, but I just don't eat fish. I'm taking an omega-3 supplement because of that fact!!