28.9.11

Food, part one

This will be one of a series of weird food things about me. If you know me in person, you know that I’m… not super picky (I used to be really bad!), I just have passionate views about certain food items. I even write poems and quips about my preferences. With that introduction, I will talk today about fish and nuts.

I have never been a fan of fish. When I was little, the one time I remember having a babysitter that wasn’t a family member, said babysitter forced me to try tuna. I hated it. I wouldn’t say it traumatized me, because I have since tried fish, but that event certainly didn’t help my bias against fish. So, for some reason, I came up with a little poem about how I do NOT eat fish: If it swam in the sea, it’s not for me! It’s kind of catchy, if I do say so myself :-) And it does help people remember that I really don’t eat fish. I have tried blue gill (fresh caught by Adam and my mom), mahi mahi in Hawaii (which was not super fishy, but it DID have a macadamia nut coating on it – see below), garlic shrimp, and one homemade fish-and-potato-patty thing. I’m still not going to eat fish. The shrimp I tried had a weird, chewy texture to it (which I would assume applies to all shrimp). I also cannot stand the smell of shrimp cooking. It just permeates the whole house. Oh man, I better stop writing about fish. It’s making me feel queasy.
Another thing I don’t eat are nuts. I have tried them (including walnuts and pistachios) and while they don’t particularly have a bad flavor, I can’t tolerate the texture of nuts. They get stuck in my teeth and are just not something I want to eat. I eat peanut butter (creamy, of course), but I don’t eat nuts plain. I would probably be ok with almond butter, too. But I will never be one to put nuts in my cookies or brownies or anything else. And because just about everyone asks if I’m allergic to nuts because I avoid them so fervently, I created a little catch-phrase (not exactly a poem): “The only nuts I eat are donuts.” I sometimes say, “The only nuts I eat are donuts and corn nuts,” because I really DO love corn nuts! Probably more than donuts, even.
Anyway, that’s enough for the introduction to my many food preference oddities. We’ll save the rest for another day.

No comments: